What to consider when choosing a fertility clinic?knchua
Seeking help to have a baby is a momentous and positive decision, and choosing a fertility clinic is another encouraging step forward. With so many fertility clinics to choose from, this guide can help you to find the one that’s right for you.
What to consider when choosing a fertility clinic?
Each person will have different requirements from their clinic, but you may want to consider the following criteria when making your decision:
- First impression— get a feel for the people and environment. Treatment is very personally demanding so your clinic must be a place where you feel comfortable
- Additional services— many clinics offer additional treatment options. These may include technologies such as embryo freezing, or their own sperm or egg donor bank
- Fertility technologies — the technologies used in the lab can have a high impact on the success of a pregnancy. Ask your clinic what kind of technologies they use in the lab. Find more information about fertility technologies here
- Counselling and support — having a network of emotional support throughout treatment is very important. Check whether your clinic offers free counselling, and whether they have any support groups you can join
- Your eligibility — some clinics may only accept women of a certain age or weight for treatments
- Location — fertility treatment involves a lot of appointments so it’s worth choosing a clinic that’s conveniently located
- Costs — these can vary from clinic-to-clinic and there may be hidden fees. Ask to see a breakdown of what’s included in each treatment package
- Success rates— success rates can vary between clinics, due to the type of patients they treat and the treatments they offer. Clinics can tell you how many treatments they’ve carried out, their clinical pregnancy rate and their live birth rate each year
Don’t be afraid to visit many clinics and to ask lots of questions. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable and confident in your healthcare team, so take your time to find the clinic that’s right for you.