You should consider having an infertility evaluation if any of the following apply to you:
- You have not become pregnant after 1 year of having regular unprotected sexual intercourse
- You are older than age 35 years and have not become pregnant after trying for 6 months without using birth control.
- You are older than age 40 years and have not become pregnant within 6 months of trying without using birth control.
- Your menstrual cycle is not regular.
- You or your partner have a known fertility problem such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), endometriosis, or male factor infertility
- You had recurrent pregnancy loss
From the visit, a complete evaluation on you and your partner will allow your doctor to recommend a suitable treatment options most likely to be effective for your situation, including any risks. This should include what is best clinically, and also what will work for your lifestyle and financial situation.
We know how difficult this is for most patients considering the many misconceptions associated with fertility issues and to cross that bridge can be one of the most difficult choices to make for some. Making an appointment to see a fertility specialist is a big step.
To that end, having an idea of what happens during a patient’s first consultation might be helpful in aiding you to make an informed decision.
Below is an illustration of what typically happens during a patient’s first consultation:
- Be Early
We strongly encourage patients and their respective partners to arrive at our centre at least 2 hours prior to the scheduled appointment as there are processes to undergo before your consultation with your doctor.
- Bring along your existing reports (if any)
If you have any existing relevant reports, it will be useful to bring them along with you on this visit.
A series of assessments will be perform on both your and your partner before you meet the specialists to discuss what is your potential problems and what are the best option for you.
Click here to make an appointment with the specialist