Do I need to keep my IVF medications refrigerated?knchuaAll injectable medications need to be kept refrigerated during the course of your treatment. You nurse coordinator will advise you on the storage of the medications.
Can we have intercourse during treatment cycle?knchuaWe strongly advise you to abstain from intercourse to avoid any unplanned multiple pregnancy or an ectopic pregnancy. However if you are on a natural or frozen-thawed cycle, we advise you to speak to your nurse or doctor.
When will I know if I’m pregnant after IVF?knchuaPregnancy test is done using blood test two weeks after the day of egg retrieval. Pregnancy can be confirmed by ultrasound 30 to 40 days after aspiration.
The DO’s and the DON’Tsknchua
- Have a balanced and healthy diet.
- You may exercise in moderation but avoid strenuous exercise.
- Try to avoid taking herbs/ medications before speaking to your doctor.
- Do not smoke. It has been shown to be toxic to your eggs and cause damage to sperm DNA. It is important to stop smoking before starting your IVF treatment.
- Avoid alcohol or consume in moderation.
- Have adequate sleep.
- Keep well hydrated.
- Be positive and lowering stress levels may improve IVF success rates.
How long does the IVF process take?knchuaThis will depend on the type of treatment you are having and your individual response to the medication. However, on average one IVF cycle takes 4-6 weeks to complete.
Are there any side effects from IVF treatment?knchuaGenerally, the risks of IVF will be discussed with you before you begin your treatment. It is very important that you are fully aware of all the possible risks associated with IVF treatment.
- Fertility drug reaction – you may experience a mild reaction to fertility drugs such as hot flushes, headaches and restlessness. Symptoms usually disappear after a short time but if they do not, you should consult your doctor.
- OHSS (Ovarian Hyper-stimulation Syndrome) – fertility drugs used to stimulate egg growth may lead to OHSS where fluid accumulate in the abdomen and sometimes chest cavity causing abdominal discomfort and/or breathing difficulties. The ovaries also enlarge and can become painful. You may feel bloated, and nauseas. Severe cases are rare, but you should alert your doctor immediately if you have any of these symptoms.
- Multiple pregnancies – to increase the chances of getting pregnant, your doctor may transfer more than one embryo into your womb. However, it may also increase your chances of having twins/ triplets and potentially leading to preterm labor.
What is the chance of getting pregnant after an IVF treatment at AFC?knchuaThe success rate for a fertility treatment varied with age and AFC is proud to achieve world class pregnancy rates of 55% (overall clinical pregnancy rate). Besides, AFC had consistently achieved high pregnancy rates and post-thaw embryo survival rates comparable to other leading international fertility centres worldwide with clinical pregnancy rates of 80% per fresh blastocyst transfer and 63% in frozen embryo transfer.
What kind of fertility treatment would I be expecting from AFC?knchuaIt depends on the underlying cause and severity of problem.
- Ovulation induction medication may be prescribed. If applicable, tubal patency testing may be required.
- If the sperm concentration is low, medication may be prescribed to enhance sperm production. The couple may try for artificial insemination (IUI) if sperm counts are acceptable.
- If the sperm is profoundly poor or the tubes are block, ART (Assisted Reproductive Technology) treatment may be required such as in-vitro Fertilization (IVF) or Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI).
- In the case of zero sperm count (azoospermia), MESA (microepididymal sperm aspiration) or TESE (testicular sperm extraction) may be required depending on the classification of azoospermia.
- If there is presence of endometriosis or cysts or fibroids, laparoscopic surgery may be required.
- The couples may resort to acquiring eggs through gamete donation (egg or sperm donation) if the female partner’s eggs fail to fertilise or create embryos that cannot sustain an ongoing pregnancy, ovarian failure due to chemotherapy , premature ovarian failure; or if the male partner’s is azoospermia. Gamete donation is also an option for couple who have high risk of passing on a serious genetic condition to their children. (for non-muslim only)